Wednesday, February 1, 2017

MMM - Song of the Towers

Moment (What makes me stop and think?): I really enjoy just looking at the colors and visually pleasing aspect of the overall painting. The warm tones in the center make me think that everything in the painting is happy and joyous. Looking closer, I notice that the man in the middle is almost like a representation of a warm, happy man with a saxophone, almost similar to the derogatory term and explanation of a Jim Crow or Sambo. Upon closer examination, I notice that the men in the corners of the painting are crawling desperately towards the warmth and the light, the freedom of america, yet the icy cold holds them back, like invisible hands, invisible chains keeping them restrained.

Movement (What kind of motion is implied/suggested? What kind of patterns are there?): The motion that I see is the man in the middle is walking or dancing towards his brighter future while the men in the corner seem to be desperately crawling towards it.

Meaning (What is the big statement of the painting?) I think the big statement of the painting is that after a lot of struggling and crawling (like the men in the corner) you will finally be able to stand, both physically and mentally, for your freedom. But like all the men in the painting, you must work to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment